Café Kladdkaka in Stockholm

So after walking around town for the nth time today, we decided to take a break. I know, today is no-preparation day for any kind of food because we went to Stockholm to watch Skunk Anansie, yeah! I do not think I will get over the fact that I will get to watch them live after almost a long time of wishing to see them in person.

ANYWAY, back to the topic of this entry. Whenever we travel to Stockholm, we seem to always end up "fika-ing" in Café Kladdkaka. That is a bit of "swenglish" for everyone.

Side note: Fika means snack, or merienda (in Filipino, and I think, Spanish...not sure). Fika here, though, is always served with coffee, tea, or warm chocolate. It always seems to be a sin to drink anything aside from those mentioned, and eat anything other than pastry, bread, or anything that is baked during "fika".

Again, back to Café Kladdkaka (which means Café Stickycake, and that is direct translation to English): we ordered "Varm Choklad" (warm chocolate) and "Äppel Paj" (apple pie), and shared it. That is for dessert, of course.

Stockholm: Fika at Café Kladdkaka


They have a range of meals to choose from, but I do not really have a list of everything. I usually just get a sandwich, preferably with brie cheese and salami. I do not know why, but those two are on the top list of combinations to go for when it comes to sandwiches.

However, we were able to take a picture of parts of the menu, and let me put in text those I am able to read on the picture. If any of you recognize some of the stuff we were not able to mention, then feel free to drop in a comment anytime :) Here you go:


Stockholm: Fika at Café Kladdkaka

 Menu
  1.  Grillade Smörgåsar (Grilled Sandwiches)
    1. Ciabbata
      1. Salami & Brie Ost ( Brie Cheese)
    2. Foccacia
      1. Skinka (pork...I think, a bit unclear) & Mozzarella
      2. Kyckling (Chicken) & Feta Ost (Feta Cheese)
      3. Mozzarella & Champinjoner (Champignion)
    3. Grillad Panini
      1. Mozzarella & Pesto
  2. Drycker (Drinks)
    1. Kaffe / Tea
    2. Stor Kaffe
    3. Latte
    4. Chai Latte
    5. Espresso Enkel (Simple Espresso)
    6. Espresso Dubel
    7. Cappuccino
    8. Choklad
    9. Läsk (softdrinks)
    10. Festis
    11. Juice
    12. Färskpressat (freshly-squeezed)
    13. Islatte (Iced Latte)

Did I mention we have been here before? Think I remember ordering a muffin last year, though. Chocolate muffin, and hot chocolate again because it was really cold! August of last year, but I might not have a picture of that visit.

Although, I do remember a comment made by the barista that he made this visit again. I always drink hot water. ALWAYS, even when I workout...well, sometimes. You can count summer season in on the list of times I drink cold water in a year. So, my fiancé asked for a glass of hot water, and got refused. We received a glass of hot water during our first visit in August last year, but not this time. He said that people bring in their own tea bags and use their own tea instead of purchasing it from the cashier.

A box of tea would cost about SEK16-30 if you buy from the grocery, depending on what you purchase. The price can go higher, of course. One cup of tea in a café would cost about SEK20-25, and the price can still go higher, of course.

I would understand why the barista made that comment, but we have ordered hot chocolate already, and it was really snowing outside. So I just rolled my eyes, and my fiancé let the comment go. Swedes are not really akin to conflicts.

Besides, from an owner's or barista's point of view, it would be unfair to give away hot water while some customers use their own tea to drink in their café while using the place to hang out in. In other words: Vad ska man göra?" (What is one supposed to do?)

All in all, except for the lack of kindness for giving out hot water (which is, okay, understandable, FINE...), hanging out and dropping by Café Kladdkaka is most definitely worth putting on your to-do-list when one swings by Stockholm. It might have gone down a notch on one of my favorite places, but it is still waaaay up there :)

...and having the apple pie definitely rejuvenated us to walk around some more before heading to Berns to watch the concert.


Kommentarer